I made red velvet cake balls on Saturday for Brady's Boy Scout bake sale!
The basic recipe for cake balls on allrecipes.com is a cake mix (18.25 oz.*) prepared, baked, crumbled, and mixed with a container of frosting (16 oz.), then dipped in vanilla or milk/dark chocolate candy coating.
*Cake mix size is now 15.25 oz. and still works great!
After reading some of the reviews, I only added 2/3 of a container of cream cheese frosting with a crumbled red velvet cake (cooled about 30 min.) I made two batches which made about nine dozen cake balls (8 dozen for the bake sale, and a dozen for us!).I shaped the cake and frosting mixture into balls with a small scoop, then chilled them in the freezer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper for about 30 min. before dipping them in the melted candyman coating. I melted the coating in the microwave.
I tried a few dipping methods, but ended up dropping one at a time into the coating and lifting with a fork to drip, then using a knife to scoot it onto the wax paper.
I melted one pound of coating at a time, and let it cool some before dipping the chilled cake balls. This seemed to help with the problem of cake crumbs getting into the coating and also the coating wanting to crack once it set up.
It took almost two pounds of the vanilla candy coating per batch.
I used a decorator bag for the melted milk chocolate candy coating drizzle.
I placed each one in a mini cupcake paper liner.
Thinking of the possible flavor combinations... carrot cake and cream cheese icing, lemon cake and lemon icing, German chocolate cake and coconut pecan icing, chocolate fudge cake and chocolate or mint chocolate chip icing, vanilla funfetti cake and vanilla icing...
No comments:
Post a Comment